Toxic Mold Related Illnesses
Spores are often thought to be the culprits in the illnesses caused by toxic mold. However, they are only the vehicle by which the real toxins are transferred. Toxic molds are named so because of the chemicals that they release. These chemicals can be very harmful to humans and, in many cases, even deadly.The most deadly toxin produced by certain types of mold (including the infamous black mold) is mycotoxin. It is produced by mold that grows indoors and outdoors. Large colonies or collections of spores appear to the human eye as velvety, or slimy, black spots. By the time enough spores accumulate to form a colony, the level of mycotoxin is high enough to cause harm. Mycotoxin can be inhaled through the air, ingested through food and irritate skin – all of which could be the start of a serious illness.Mycotoxins have been linked to liver and kidney damage, as well as liver, kidney and lung infections. It may also cause flu-like symptoms, nosebleeds, asthma, pulmonary edema, and even brain damage. The toxic mold Stachybotrys is notorious for mycotoxin production, which makes this mold the most harmful.Mycotoxin isn't the only deadly chemical produced by toxic molds. The black mold fusarium produces trichothecene toxin, which harms the nervous system and circulatory system. Another toxin produced by fusarium colonies, zearalone, attacks the female reproductive system. Mold may cause infertility, as well as variations in reproductive and hormonal cycles. Twenty-five million Americans suffer from allergic reactions to molds, according to the Mold Homepage, and this doesn't have to be the case, if people are educated about dust. The problem is that mold is everywhere, so it has the ability to hold people hostage, without them even knowing, sometimes.~Prolonged exposure to any indoor mold can lead to serious injuries such as keratitis (severe inflammation of the cornea), internal bleeding, pneumonia, and many types of infection. A connection has even been established between mold and pulmonary hemorrhaging in newborns.Infants, small children, elderly people, and those with compromised immune systems all are highly susceptible to serious illnesses due to mold contamination. Sudden Infant Death Syndrome has been linked to exposure to toxic mold. Prolonged exposure to any of these molds can result in chronic and even fatal illness. Some of the more significant health issues associated with the presence of toxic mold include: cancer, tuberculosis, lupus, chronic fatigue disorder, fibromyalgia, and the Epstein-Barr virus. Immediate eradication of mold is therefore essential in the homes of the high susceptibility groups. If one's immune system is weak, it is sure to weaken more when a person is in regular contact with mold. There is a decreased resistance to disease and other illnesses as a result of mold infestation.Attention should be paid to the following symptoms, as they may be a sign of more significant health issues: burning eyes, vomiting, nausea, night sweats, chest pains, rest, numbness/tingling, dizziness and abdominal pains – and these are just a few.Some medical professionals contend that there is no concrete connection between toxic mold exposure and serious illness; however, physicians who are familiar with mold cases have been able to prove otherwise. If you suspect a property of being contaminated with toxic molds, immediate action should be taken to rid the property of any type of mold. Those who have had prolonged exposure to the mold should seek medical attention. Only professionals should attempt to clean up a mold colony. The chances of infection and severe illness are great when the colony is agitated, and therefore should not be attempted by nonprofessionals.
Have your indoor air quality tested for mold by AMT Environmental. We are local on the island, 100% certified and are offering our testing at cost for anyone who suffered damage from super storm sandy.